Visiting The Place's theatre:
- The Place reserves the right to refuse admission, and The Place may also request any ticket holder to leave the venue before, during or after performances or events if it believes their presence is likely to cause nuisance, disturbance or threat to other patrons, the venue or its employees taking any such appropriate action which may be necessary to enforce this if it is necessary to do so.
- The Place may also, on certain occasions, have to conduct security searches to ensure your safety.
- Every effort will be made by The Place to admit latecomers at a suitable break in the event or performance. It may not be possible to accommodate latecomers.
- The Place cannot permit food to be brought into the auditorium. Drinks may be brought into the auditorium in plastic cups, at the discretion of the Duty Manager. Under no circumstance can alcohol from outside our venue be brought onto our site
- Mobile phones, pagers and watches must be silenced before entering the auditorium.
- To be admitted you must be in possession of a valid ticket.
- Where a specific age restriction is listed for an event, children under the specified age may not be admitted.
- Strobe lighting, smoke effects, gunshots and other special effects are sometimes used in productions; notices will be displayed in the box office and bar areas.
- The Place or any permitted third parties may carry out general filming, sound recording and photography in or about the venue. By purchasing tickets you consent to you and your party being included, and the use or broadcast of such films and recordings without payment. If you, or a member of your party, are not comfortable being a part of an event that may be filmed or recorded please contact the box office (email@example.com Tel: 0207 121 1100) in advance of your visit to ask if any recording will be taking place.
- No tickets purchased at The Place may be resold for profit or commercial gain by any outlet other than The Place Box Office or one of its authorised ticket agents (unauthorised outlets include websites such as auction sites). Failure to comply will make this ticket void.
- Whilst The Place takes responsibility for tickets purchased directly through The Place Box Office, The Place website, and our authorised ticket agents, we will not be responsible for tickets that have been sold through unauthorised methods. Patrons with tickets purchased through an unauthorised vendor will not, in any circumstances, receive an exchange or refund from The Place. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- The Place will not be liable in any way if an event or performance is abandoned after more than half of it has taken place due to any factors which are beyond the The Place's reasonable control.
- Should a performance or event be cancelled or abandoned when less than half of the performance has taken place refunds will be for the face value of the ticket only.
- Customers with young children are advised to sit near an exit to allow for an easy departure should the child become uncomfortable during the performance. There are no refunds for patrons who need to exit the performance early.
- No photography or recording of any kind is permitted in the theatre.
- Patrons may not sit or stand in any gangways or on the stairs.
- The Place conforms to the Data Protection Act 1998.
For information on concessions, group bookings, reservations and refunds and returns please see our ticketing policy.
Taking part in our Classes & Courses
- The Place may refuse entry to a class, for health and safety reasons, if the participant is more than 15 minutes late. If running late, participants should notify Reception by calling 020 7121 1029 before the class start time so the relevant staff members can be informed.
- We ask that participants don’t arrive any earlier than 15 minutes before class and leave the studio promptly once class has finished. There are stretching zones available for stretching post-session.
- Participants must have booked onto a session before heading to the studio. Anyone not booked on to the class will be asked to pay at Reception before taking part.
- We do not offer refunds except on receipt of a doctor’s medical note.
- All refund must be received in writing. For adult classes, requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, and for youth classes, requests should be sent to email@example.com.
- We do not offer swaps or credit for missed classes (either drop-in or when enrolled) unless we have had to cancel a session.
- For Children and Youth Dance Classes, if a young dancer can no longer attend, you must inform a member of the Classes & Courses team at the earliest possible opportunity by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When enrolling onto in-person classes, you will receive an email from the Classes & Courses team with a link to our Participant Information Form. This must be filled out before attending sessions at The Place as part of our Health & Safety and Safeguarding measures.
- Young people enrolled on the Children and Youth Dance Programme must be dropped off and collected promptly. In the event of an emergency/running late, please contact our reception team on 020 7121 1029 who can inform the relevant member of staff.
- Young dancers will be registered in their studios each week.
- By purchasing recorded classes or attending online sessions, participants (or parents/carers) accept full responsibility for personal safety when joining us from home. Please familiarise yourself with our Safe practice at home checklist prior to joining classes.
- We ask that any feeling unwell takes responsibility for their health and that of others by staying at home.
- In the event that COVID-19 restrictions are brought back in, we may have to adapt swiftly to ensure the programme continues to keep participants safe. This might include reducing class numbers or moving sessions online. The Classes & Courses team will be in touch over email using the email address provided at point of booking, with any changes and what this means with regards to class fees.
Use of this website:
- This website and all materials within it are the property of Contemporary Dance Trust, trading as The Place (herein after referred to as The Place).
- The Place will not be liable for any losses incurred by you in connection with your use of this website, for any delay in using or your inability to use the website, for any information or products obtained through the website or for any material posted to the website by users of the website.
- The Place's website is for your own personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer or sell any information obtained from this website.
- All contents of this website, including any software, are protected by intellectual property rights and other related rights. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form (electronically or otherwise) without the prior consent of the The Place other than temporarily in the course of using the site's shop or ticketing services.
- You are not permitted to link to or use all or any part of The Place's website for any reason which is unlawful, defamatory, harmful obscene or objectionable and, in particular, you are not permitted to transmit anything which, in The Place's opinion, harms its business or in any way offends other users or persons.
- You are also not permitted to alter The Place's website in any way or post onto or transmit to The Place's website, any material containing software viruses or files which may damage or disrupt the good working order of computer or telecommunications equipment.
- The Place reserves the right to refuse or remove anything which is transmitted via or posted on The Place's website and which, in The Place's opinion, is objectionable or does not comply with these terms and conditions. The Place shall not in any way be liable for such actions.
- The Place may record, preserve, trace and disclose anything which has been transmitted to, from or via The Place's website, where required by law or where The Place is acting in good faith. The Place's website may contain hyperlinks to websites operated by parties other than The Place. The operation of such websites is outside The Place's control and you proceed at your own risk. The Place does not endorse or sponsor and is not liable for the products, services or content you access through any linked site.
- These terms and conditions and any Contract concluded incorporating these terms and conditions shall be governed by English Law and all disputes shall be submitted to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Online and Website Bookings
- Customers are entirely responsible for entering their details correctly on the online booking form. You warrant that all details supplied by you are true and accurate. If there are any changes to your details once your booking is concluded then it is your responsibility to inform the The Place.
- Where a person makes a booking on behalf of a party, that person accepts these terms and conditions on behalf of all members of the party and is responsible for that party.
- It is your responsibility to check that the tickets issued to you are accurate and that you have supplied accurate contact details in order for us to contact you if performance or class information is altered.
Space Hire Bookings
The below information are the terms and conditions of hire of spaces by a hirer (you) at The Place (we/us). The hire of spaces under these terms and conditions does not create any affiliation or partnership between you and The Place, and The Place takes no responsibility for and does not endorse the content of activities which you carry out in our spaces.
By confirming the booking request in writing you acknowledge and confirm that you have read, understood and agreed to comply with the terms and conditions contained within this document. Please note that completing a booking form does not automatically mean that the booking has been confirmed.
The space bookings team can be contacted via email on email@example.com
For general enquiries you can contact our Reception on +44 (0)20 7121 1029 during our opening times.
- We do not take bookings over the phone. All reservations must be made via email through the space bookings team. The Reception desk at The Place is not equipped to accept or change any bookings or take payments, nor to provide details on availability of spaces to external hirers.
- Advance payment is required to secure all bookings at The Place. You must be able to produce a booking confirmation on the day of the reservation; failing that, you may be denied access to our spaces. We reserve the right to cancel any booking where payment is not received before the event.
- An invoice is raised as soon as a booking is agreed in writing via email. From this point onwards:
- a 50% cancellation fee is applicable if the booking is happening within 30 days of the activity date
- the total amount on the invoice will be liable if cancellation is made within a week or less of the activity date
- If the booking is cancelled before the required 30 days’ notice, a cancellation fee will not apply
- Please ensure all booking details and invoicing/personal details are correct before finalising your booking.
- Once we have received payment, a confirmation email with the booking details will be send to you. It is your responsibility to ensure you have received this message. If you do not receive this message, please contact the space bookings team as soon as possible. The same rules and procedures apply for booking cancellations.
- Invoices must be paid immediately upon receipt (unless a different arrangement has been agreed in writing), otherwise you risk cancellation of future bookings. A payment schedule can be negotiated depending on circumstances and at the space bookings team’s discretion; please contact the space bookings team for more information.
- Booking slots are made available on specific dates throughout the year, usually for the term ahead. For more information about our booking cycles, please contact the space bookings team.
- The Place reserves the right to move bookings to a different space if changes in the internal programme requires us to do so. Where the hirer is moved to a larger space, they will not be charged for the upgrade; where a hirer is moved to a smaller space, they will be refunded the difference. You will be given notice of changes/cancellations in writing as far in advance of the booking date as is reasonably practicable.
NOISE LEVELS, PERCUSSION AND PIANOS
Our relationship with our neighbours is very important to us, and at any time we can have as many as 14 different activities in our spaces. Therefore:
- Noise levels in all spaces must be kept to a reasonable level. If you are disturbing other users, you will be requested to reduce your noise level by The Place staff.
- If you intend to use percussion/live music, this must be stated at the time of booking when you will be advised if this is possible. Please note we cannot allow any percussion or other live music involving more than one musician at the same time.
No live music is allowed in the Founders Studio at any time.
- Pianos must not be moved as doing so can cause damage to the piano or the floor. If this happens, you will be liable for any such damage.
FOOTWEAR, FOOD AND DRINKS
- No outdoor shoes are allowed in any of our studios, and we are unable to accommodate tap shoes. Please see specifications below about which type of footwear (if any) is allowed in the spaces:
- Studios 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10: Only indoor dance shoes with soft and light-coloured soles are permitted, no trainers, ballroom or flamenco shoes.
- Studio 1: Indoor dance shoes, tango or ballroom shoes and indoor dance sneakers/trainers with non-marking soles are permitted. No flamenco shoes are allowed.
- Studio 7 and Founders studio: Indoor dance shoes, flamenco, tango or ballroom shoes and indoor dance sneakers/trainers with non-marking soles are permitted.
- Studios 2, 5 & 9: No shoes of any kind are permitted in these studios; you will need to agree to being barefoot or wearing socks only.
- Meeting/Lecture rooms: all types of footwear are allowed.
- No food or drinks may be taken into the studios except bottled water. Please avoid bringing in glass containers, however we strongly encourage you to bring sustainable/reusable water bottles.
DAMAGE TO THE SPACES
- You will be liable for any damage caused to the spaces during or as a result of your hire. This includes (without any limitation) damage to the floor, walls, or audio-visual system.
- You are responsible for informing Reception if you notice anything unusual in the condition of the space you are using before commencing your booking.
- After block bookings with exclusive use, and any hires including set or props, we will conduct an inventory of the space. Any damages will be charged to the hirer.
- Our booking policy allows for back-to-back bookings and we expect our hirers to include time for setting up and packing down in their booked timeslot. Please notify Reception about any delays affecting your booking as a result of the previous hire.
- The Place reserves the right to invoice for any extra time in the space according to the Duty Managers daily report, which is circulated to the Senior Management team.
- If you fail to keep to your allotted time, our staff will urge you to vacate the space and this may incur charges for any additional unauthorised time used. Persistent late finishes may result in future bookings being cancelled.
- We can arrange for early access or late opening at an extra charge and if requested at least 2 weeks in advance (subject to staff availability). Please contact the space bookings team for more information.
USE OF EQUIPMENT
- All spaces (except Flaxman Terrace Meeting Room) are equipped with an audio-visual (AV) system. User guides are available in the space, and upon request can be emailed in advance. The AV equipment is in a cabinet in a corner of the space, and it consists of a CD player, iPod/phone/laptop dock, a plasma screen (and a PC computer in some spaces). You can plug in your device or camera, but you are advised to bring your own device-specific cables. There are mini-jack cables tied to the equipment. Studio 2 also includes a projector.
- Please note that the equipment must not be moved around the space without permission and objects should not be kept on top of the cabinet (especially any liquids).
- Tables and chairs are available for use in our studios on request (subject to availability).
- The building is equipped with Wi-Fi signal and this is accessible through a guest account; you can ask for the login details at Reception. Our Wifi system is equipped for live streaming, however we cannot guarantee the speed and reliability during busy times. Please inform us at the time of booking if you plan to livestream during your activity. We cannot provide you with technical equipment for this, so you will need to bring your own laptop/camera.
- Any equipment brought into the building should be compliant with current guidance and legislation. All electrical items must be PAT tested and flammable objects must be treated with fireproof spray. Hirers are required to have a list of all equipment in use and relevant supporting documentation.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO
- Any hire involving photography and/or filming must be agreed at the time of booking as different rates apply. This will be charged according to the information you provide on the Booking Request Form, please contact the space bookings team for more information.
- We charge for bookings involving photography and/or filming according to the purpose and distribution of the footage. We classify hires as either commercial or concession.
- The use of flash photography must be stated at the time of the booking as it can only be accommodated in certain spaces.
- We prohibit filming and photography of artistic work, staff, members of the public and children using the building. We have a safeguarding policy (available on request), so if your hire involves filming/photographing children within The Place, we ask you to be able to produce the necessary consent forms upon request.
- For most shoots a credit line acknowledging The Place as the location is sufficient, i.e.: ‘Filmed/Photographed at The Place’. If the images will be broadcasted, we may be interested in using the images, videos or stills from such shoots in our communication activities.
HEALTH AND SFETY, BEST PRACTICE AND PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE
- You are responsible for ensuring your event/session is run in line with current health & safety legislation and best practice guidelines. A risk assessment should be carried out and be available for The Place staff in advance and on the day. The Place takes no responsibility for the content or health & safety of events/classes run by external hirers.
- A first aid kit and accident log are kept at Reception. Should a participant in your session sustain an injury, Duty managers and Reception staff are first aid trained and can support you.
- If you require further medical assistance, our Reception staff can assist you. We ask that you inform Reception if you have called for emergency services. Please note, our staff will not be able to accompany injured participants off-site.
- All hirers must tell us in advance if they are expecting any wheelchair users. The Place is fully accessible and we have a lift on each side of the building.
- All hirers must make themselves familiar with the fire evacuation procedures and must make sure participants are briefed on course of action in case of fire.
- The Place’s insurance will only cover defects with the building. We are not liable for and cannot cover loss of your personal property. Studios can be locked if you leave the space during your booking. Please ask Reception for more information.
- Hirers need to have their own insurance to cover any situation involving loss or injury to a member of the public as a result of their own activities.
- If a session involves participants who are under the age of 18 or considered as vulnerable adults, the hirer is responsible for ensuring that the relevant DBS checks have been obtained and can be produced on request.
- Hirers must not exceed the recommended studio/room maximum capacity.
LOCATION AND BUILDING FACILITIES
- The Place is located in a complex of buildings between Flaxman Terrace and Duke's Road, just off Euston Road in Central London. All external hirers are asked to arrive and sign in at the Reception at the Flaxman Terrace entrance. More information can be found on https://theplace.org.uk/your-visit.
- All studios are equipped with a ventilation system to ensure air circulation, plus a floor fan for extra ventilation. Please note that only Studios 7 and 8 are air conditioned.
- There are female, male, gender-neutral and accessible toilets located throughout the building; these are clearly signposted.
- Changing facilities are available on site; these are accessible via codes which are available at Reception on request.
- There are induction loops available throughout the building and in a selection of studios. Please contact the space bookings team for more information.
MARKETING AND PUBLICITY GUIDELINES
- External hirers are only allowed to mention The Place in advertising as the venue where the activity is taking place and must not use the words “The Place” in the title of their event. Location must be listed as “The Place” with no other suffixes.
- All participants must be directed to the entrance on 16 Flaxman Terrace, WC1H 9AT. The Place website has directions, travel information and a map which can be used on advertising material: https://theplace.org.uk/your-visit.
- The Place logo must not be used in connection with any external hires unless the performance or workshop has been directly commissioned by The Place. External hirers are not allowed to post information about their events on The Place’s social media pages or on our website.
- We do not allow displaying posters or flyers for external activity in our building.
- You can submit your event to our Jobs and Artists' Noticeboard via https://theplace.org.uk/work-with-us/jobs-and-opportunities/artists-opportunities.
PRICING AND SPECIFICS
- Rates are calculated by the hour (one hour minimum hire, after which increments of 15 minutes are permitted).
- Concession rates apply to not-for-profit organisations or independent artists/teachers.
- VAT is charged on all bookings, currently at 20%.
- As a charity ourselves, unfortunately we are not able to offer discounts for other charities.
|1||16m x 11m (176 m2); Height: 3.886m||Fully sprung floor, Black Harlequin Linoleum (sneakers/ballroom shoes allowed)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Ballet barres on two walls; Moveable ballet barres; Blackout curtains; Induction loops|
|2||12.4m x 11.8m (146.32 m2); Height: 3.886m||Fully sprung floor, Wooden floor (socks/barefoot only)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Projector; Ballet barre on one wall; Blackout blinds; Induction loops|
|3||13m x 11m (143 m2); Height: 3.353m||Fully sprung floor, Grey Harlequin Linoleum (soft dance shoes allowed)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Ballet barres on three walls; Moveable ballet barres; Blackout curtains|
|4||12m x 11m (132 m2); Height: 3.353m||Fully sprung floor, Grey Harlequin Linoleum (soft dance shoes allowed)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Ballet barres on three walls; Moveable ballet barres|
|5||13m x 11m (143 m2); Height: 3.353m||Fully sprung floor, Wooden floor (socks/barefoot only)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Ballet barres on three walls|
|6||12m x 11m (132 m2); Height: 3.353m||Fully sprung floor, Grey Harlequin Linoleum (soft dance shoes allowed)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Projector; Ballet barres on three walls; Moveable ballet barres; Induction loops|
|7||14.3m x 7.6m (108.68 m2); Height: 2.845m||Fully sprung floor, Grey Harlequin Linoleum (all dance shoes allowed)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Projector; Ballet barres on three walls; Moveable ballet barres|
|8||18m x 9m (162 m2); Height: 3.861m||Fully sprung floor, Grey Harlequin Linoleum (soft dance shoes allowed)||Mirror; Piano; AV System and Plasma screen; Projector; Ballet barres on three walls; Moveable ballet barres; Induction loops|
|9||10.8m x 9m (97.2 m2); Height: 3.353m||Fully sprung floor, Wooden floor (socks/barefoot only)||Mirror; AV System and Plasma screen; Projector; Ballet barre on one wall|
|10||10.8m x 9m (97.2 m2); Height: 3.353m||Fully sprung floor, Black Harlequin Linoleum (soft dance shoes allowed)||No mirror; AV System and Plasma screen; Projector; Ballet barre on one wall|
|Founders||15m x 5m (75 m2); Height: 2.845m||Fully sprung floor, Wooden floor (all dance shoes allowed)||Mirror; AV System and Moveable Plasma screen; Moveable tables and chairs; Induction loops; Blackout curtains|
|Lecture Room||6.8m x 5.9m (40.12 m2)||Carpet (all shoes allowed)||Movable tables and chairs; AV System and Plasma screen|
|Duke’s Road Meeting Room||6m x 3.2m (19.2 m2)||Carpet (all shoes allowed)||Boardroom table and chairs; AV System and Plasma screen; Whiteboard|
|Flaxman Terrace Meeting Room||5m x 4m (20m2)||Carpet (all shoes allowed)||Boardroom table and chairs (Plasma Screen on request(|
Please adopt the following evacuation procedures. It is important that you keep an updated list of participants in your group and inform them about the nearest exit and assembly point.
If you discover a fire
- Activate the nearest fire alarm call point and leave the building immediately
- Use the nearest escape route, marked by green emergency signage
- If possible, inform The Place staff of the location and nature of the fire
- Proceed to the assembly point opposite Mabel’s pub, on the corner of Flaxman Terrace and Mabeldon Place. Do not loiter outside any exit and do not stand in the road
If the alarm sounds
- Evacuate the space, closing the door behind you
- Use the nearest escape route, marked by green emergency signage
- Proceed to the assembly point opposite Mabel’s pub, on the corner of Flaxman Terrace and Mabeldon Place. Do not loiter outside any exit and do not stand in the road
- Report to The Place staff that your area is clear and that all participants have safely evacuated the building
If you discover a suspect package
- Contact The Place staff and inform them of the location of the package
- Await further instructions
YOUR EXITS ARE
Flaxman Terrace side (for all studios except Founders studio, and for Lecture room and Flaxman Terrace Meeting room):
- Flaxman Terrace main Reception entrance
- If it’s not safe to use the main entrance, please proceed towards the rear fire exit to Premier Inn car park, then walk the perimeter of the building to the assembly point opposite Mabel’s pub
Duke’s Road Side (for Founders studio, Lecture room and Duke’s Road Meeting room)
- Duke’s Road box office entrance
- If it’s not safe to use the box office entrance, please proceed towards the Theatre fire escape (access through the door in the corner of Founders studio) which leads to Premier Inn car park, then walk the perimeter of the building to the assembly point opposite Mabel’s pub
- Close all doors behind you
- Do not run
- Do not use lifts
- Do not stop to collect personal belongings
- Do not re-enter the building unless clearance is given by the Fire Brigade / The Place Security